Saturday, July 18, 2009

Brunch Special: John Street Cafe

So my first Brunch Special will go to my little local St. John's cafe that I like to roll out of bed and stumble down the street to: The James John Cafe. Located in the heart of St. John's on Lombard this little cafe is probably one of the best brunch spots in the city. Hardly ever a wait but it is always full. And if it takes a couple minutes to get a table a cup of coffee is happily offered by one of the 2 owners that are always there. Specials line the wall and are usually what I end up getting simply because they are available later in the day when the rest of the breakfasty items are off the menu. I've really scored with this technique and am always the perfect amount fo full when I leave. Lavendar walls, vintage mirrors and paintings are simply hung and natural wood tables give this place a casual neighborhood gallery vibe...Though I've never see the artwork change, haha.

Big veggie omelets are probably their claim to fame. EVERY SINGLE ONE IS GOOD. You really can't go wrong. I devoured the black bean omelet that's slathered with sour cream, avocado, ewwy gewwy melty jack cheese, black beans (of course) and salsa. The omelets always come with wheat toast with yummy freezer jam and their perfect oven roasted potatoes. This meal can easily be shared between two people which makes it super affordable.

I also just found out that in the summer months they have a backyard patio! Yeah for enjoying the morning sun while sipping coffee.

Pros: Yummy Kobos locally roasted coffee, massive omelets, breakfasty specials even when it's lunch time, stumbling distance from my house...but worth the drive from Eugene (2 hours) according to one friend.

Cons: Brunch stops at noon on saturday, thank goodness it goes till 2:30 on Sunday. No Bloody Mary's.

Recommendations: This place is relatively small. I don't recommend going with more than 4 people just because it would be a tight squeeze and the restaurant would have to shift to make room. A breakfast date is really the way to go, especially if you want to get seated quickly.

John Street Cafe
8338 N Lombard St Portland, OR 97203
(503) 247-1066

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katey! Nice posting, I wonder who could have recommended it (I can try to take credit and ignore Portland Monthly, right?)?

    The artwork does sometimes change! When I started going here with my dad a long time ago the large painting of a vase of lilacs used to be a painting of an artichoke on a plate!

    -Emily Carter

    ReplyDelete